My client is looking for a Shift Manager to help lead their production team. Through strategic partnerships with leading dairy providers, they are also the largest buyer of British cheese in the UK.
The purpose of the role is to ensure the shift production operations are achieved in a safe, efficient manner ensuring that food safety and safety standards are met in the most cost-effective way. To effectively communicate with other departments during day to day activities, highlighting potential issues and where possible resolutions.
Staff engagement is key, ensuring people are trained with the appropriate skill sets, and have the right behaviour in-line with the Ornua values, plus developing a safety culture focusing on people’s behaviours.
There are 2 shifts that follow a rotational pattern, the early shift is worked from 6am-4pm and 4pm-2am.
Job Responsibilities / Key Accountabilities:
People & Safety
- Job Chats and career paths are conducted with the departmental supervisors on a six-monthly basis
- Ensure personal safety is adhered to and employees within your team act in the appropriate manner for their own personal safety and safety of others.
- Ensure where team members require PPE staff adhere to company policies and procedure for compliance.
- Ensure peoples behaviors are challenged in the correct manner to improve safety culture.
- Ensure people are skills / trained and the supervisors rotate staff to maintain flexibility
- Handle RTW interviews and disciplinaries to stage 2 of the company disciplinary procedure
- To ensure all trained staff are signed off by operational trainer and supervisor based on their key competencies for grading structure.
- Ensure people are treated equally with dignity and respect in line with Ornua values.
- Set measurable objectives with the supervisory team for the year
Quality & Process
- Ensure CCP’s & QAS documentation is completed in accordance of company procedures, and the process is audited throughout the shift for compliance.
- Ensure sample swabs are taken testing, cleaning, pre-start checks, and that documentation is completed accordingly to agreed standards eg H&S and Quality procedures,
- Ensure food safety is adhered to at all times within the manufacturing areas.
- Ensure GMP scores are achieved on a daily basis.
- Products made on QI, ensure the appropriate incident report is completed at the time of incident documenting, quantity, reason, actions taken and communication with production manager and Technical.
- Take appropriate action through escalation to ensure out of specification product or processes are dealt with in a timely and efficient manner.
Efficiency & Targets
- Ensure 100% right first-time principles are adopted,
- Ensure the site is audit ready or visitor ready every day as measured to agreed procedures
- Provide daily/weekly KPI information to run the 9am meeting
- Ensure SOP’s and associated best practice documents are adhered to
- Support a continuous improvement program
- To work with the team and aim to achieve plan attainment targets and have clear understanding for loss time reporting.
- To delegate tasks to production operatives as appropriate.
- To ensure that all customer specifications are achieved relating to product dimension, packaging, labelling and shelf life.
- To inform management in a timely manner of any problems or concerns relating to the quality of the final
- Understanding of CI philosophies
- Understanding of Cross departments Disciplines (Quality/Technical/Engineering/Warehouse)
- Knowledge of appropriate equipment / machinery
- Team / people management
- Computer Literacy in Microsoft office – Excel, Powerpoint, Word, in-house business systems
- Experience of working within a FMCG/food production environment
- Health, Safety, Food Hygiene & Environment Awareness Knowledge
Personal Qualities, Motivation & Expectations:
- Effective communicator (including cross functionally)
- Structured, organised work approach
- Flexible, resilient, persistent
- High levels of self-motivation, drive & commitment
- Team player
- Adopts high personal and professional standards
Qualifications (i.e. critical requirement to perform the role)
- Educated to good GCSE level
- Food Hygiene Level 2
- H&S CIEH
- Demonstrated level of spoken and written English.